This beautiful historic Georgian brick beauty was built in 1924 by the Red Bluff Womens Club. Architecturally designed for the women and their events, she is the perfect hostess. Because, for the last 90 years, there have been hundreds of events here, she is part of history. And with so many memories made inside these walls, she belongs to everyone who loves her.
New Life We found her in disrepair in the winter of 2013. What we found was a leaky roof, puddles in the entry and added rooms that concealed the dramatic ceiling in the large dining hall. A deep breath and a vision of purpose, gave us the courage to take on a monumental remodel that would last well over a year.
Leaving the main room and foyer in place, removing tons of lathe and plaster, and stripping away the office spaces added by the former owner, we plunged ahead. We converted the Ladies' board room into a spacious ladies room-complete with marble walls and vessel sinks. Included in the ladies wing is a delightful bridal lounge. We replaced both previous restrooms with one stately men's room. The foyer was completed with marble floors, picture frame moldings and a lighted tray ceiling. The kitchen was upgraded to include commercial ice making, appliances and coffee brewing. But the biggest change took place in what is now the grande ballroom. The former stage had been removed, so job #1 was to reposition that. The 15 foot ceiling was begging for coffers and, of course, those 3 stately chandeliers. Measuring 4 feet across, the Swarovski crystals are mesmerizing. Gorgeous lighting enhances every room, with dimming capabilities for the perfect mood. New windows with beautiful fluted columns and generous woodwork flank both sides. Dancing would not be the same without a beautiful hardwood floor. Choosing solid walnut seemed appropriate for this walnut growing community. We backdropped the stage in rich, brown velvet and balanced the back of the room with 8 foot solid alder doors for a grand entry. We carried the alder doors throughout and finished everything in aged bronze and antique gold finishes. The result is nothing short of stunning.
On the outside, we replaced the 90 year old roofing, with new material and replaced an old shed structure with a wonderful redwood pavilion finished with a black stain. We added stately iron fencing and gates to the front. A little landscaping and the courtyard is ready for cocktails or dining al fresco. A giant sycamore tree covered in twinkling lights gives beautiful shade in the daytime and ambiance in the evening.
The Red Bluff Women's Club was formed in November of 1908 by a group of concerned women, who desired a better community. They assembled after the tragic death of 3 members of the prominent Willard family, who were struck by a train in the South part of town. The women were looking for civic reform: the health and safety of their children. This group was instrumental in the construction of the still-standing under-crossing. Over the years, these graceful women contributed greatly to the moral and community fiber of this town. They built their clubhouse in 1924, and hosted countless fundraising and community events. Later, the building was available for rent for weddings and private functions. Jazzercise, Christmas boutiques, and Cattleman's Dinners to name a few. In 1993, after nearly 70 years of service, the club sold the building to private individuals. It was rented to the Vineyard Church for a time and the Lord's Table was served from her kitchen. In 1997, Mid Valley Bank turned her into a bustling loan center. After the loan era crashed, she went nearly vacant. The years of neglect were showing and she stood, waiting for us.